Safety can be an issue for some travellers, but taking just a few precautions can make the area much much safer:
- Take taxis and avoid public transport in Israel.
- Avoid Damascus Gate in Jerusalem as well as Hebron.
- Do not wear very 'hippy, flowery, flowing' skirts and tops (for girls) as this can make you look like a settler. Try to look a little like a tourist.
- Avoid Jersalem on a Friday, where muslim prayer time can be a source of tension.
- keep up to date with news.
- talk to people, they will know when it is not safe to visit a certain place.